Wednesday, August 12, 2009

HEY, THAT'S MINE!

It [love] is not self-seeking


Currently, my job is to work as a daycare worker out of my home in Indiana. It's an exciting job, and presently it is whittling down to the kids that we will have on a consistent basis. For today, Erin is still technically in charge and she ran to the store to pick up groceries for the three of us (Sheri, Erin, and myself) to begin using considering we all live together now!

There's something characteristically similar about children at the kindergarten-first grade age range. Many of them are hard to break from that "it's mine" "gimme, gimme" stage. They don't understand, fully, the concept of sharing and taking turns. They want what they want and can't see the importance in giving to other people, as well.

I think that I do that a lot. I don't do it intentionally, mind you. I'm not sitting around thinking about how I can get my way above other things and then do my best to cover that up. But, I think that I am fairly guilty of being self-seeking.

My self-seeking comes in being lazy about certain things. Instead of giving tasks my complete and full attention, I mask my distractions by calling them "multi-tasking". Instead of fully listening to important conversations, I half listen and discover other tiny things to hold my attention. It isn't something that I sit out and plot, but more and more I've realized my inclination to half-doing certain things.

Love isn't self-seeking. Love is sacrificial. It's something I mentioned about love being not rude. I guess that God has been trying to slowly reveal to me the ways I try to shortcut and love someone only halfway in order to best fit my needs.

In what ways can I seek to be more selfless today?

No comments:

Post a Comment